Vegan Oatmeal Scones with Strawberries
Veganized and otherwise adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Oatmeal and Maple Syrup Scones
Makes 8 scones
- 2 cups / 8 6/7 oz / 250 g of all purpose flour plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 cup / 2 1/4 oz / 64 g of rolled quick cooking or instant oats
- 1/2 cup / 2 3/4 oz / 80 grams of whole wheat flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar plus extra for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 / 5 1/2 oz / 160 g cup cold unsalted, non-hydrogenated non-dairy butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup / 60 ml unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup / 60 ml maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons of almond or other non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon apple cider or other vinegar
- Zest of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Optional: 3/4 cup fresh strawberries or other fresh or dried fruit
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix the flours, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt. Incorporate the butter into the mixture using your hands. By the time you're done doing so, you should have small pea-sized pieces of butter uniformly distributed throughout the dry ingredients.
3. Form a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, using a spatula to combine. A few strokes before the dough has come together, fold in the strawberries. Turn the dough onto a floured surface, dusting it with some flour if it's too sticky to handle, and form it into a square about 1 1/4 inch / 3 cm high. Cut the square into 4 smaller ones and then cut each of those diagonally into two triangles.
4. Place the scones onto a greased or parchment paper lined baking sheet and cook for 17-20 minutes or until they're golden brown on top. Serve smeared with butter and jam with your favorite tea or breakfast beverage.