When Austin and I first moved in together, I would often come home to find dinner on the table (sadly, it's a rare event these days, in part because I've taken over the kitchen). One of those nights, Google had led him to a Barefoot Contessa recipe for roasted broccoli and, probably not knowing how I felt about it, he decided to make it. I'm glad he didn't ask my opinion on his choice of side, because if he had I probably would have never discovered that broccoli can be delicious. Since that night when broccoli and I found our happy place, I've modified the recipe and am more in love with it than ever. Thank you BFC, for showing me all of broccoli's potential.
Lemon and Almond Roasted Broccoli
Makes about 3 servings
Adapted from Ina Garten's (or Barefoot Contessa's) Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli
- 6 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons basil cut into a fine chiffonade
2. Add the lemon juice and basil to the broccoli, tossing it once again to coat. Serve warm or at room temperature.