Sunday, May 1, 2011

Spiralized Zucchini with Raw Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara

One of my favorite things about Duke is their weekly summer Farmers Market. It's about a two minute walk from my office and provides the perfect excuse for a walk on sunny Fridays. This week, I was eager to pick up some summer produce, since my CSA seems to still be stuck in the winter greens and root veggies rut (honestly, I'm getting kind of tired of it). Browsing stands, I found some lovely looking zucchini and tomatoes which I thought would make a tasty raw pasta dish.

I understand that raw pasta may not be for everyone, especially if you expect spiralized zucchini to taste exactly like spaghetti. Thinking of this dish as a light and summery way to satisfy a pasta craving, may help the raw pasta love flow. I also like to think of it as fun alternative to a lunch salad. If you really need real pasta in this dish or if you'd just like to bulk it up, fear not, there's an option for you. Just add some cooked pasta and other spiralized veggies to the zucchini for an interesting take on pasta salad. 


Spiralized Zucchini with Raw Sun Dried Tomato Marinara
Makes 2-3 servings
Adapted from Ani Phyo's Raw Food Kitchen
  • 3 medium zucchini or summer squash, scrubbed well or peeled 
  • 2 1/2 cups nice and ripe tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, either just rehydrated or packed in oil
  • 1 garlic clove
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, preferably extra virgin
  • Juice of 1/2 medium lemon
  • 1 large pitted date or about 1 tablespoon of agave or maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil or 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • Optional: Almesan for garnish
1.  If you have a spiralizer (I expressed my love for mine in this post) use it to cut the zucchini into thin spaghetti-like strands. If you don't have a spiralizer, use a vegetable peeler to cut your zucchini into veggie noodles.
2.  Throw the rest of the ingredients, except for the almesan, into a blender and whiz until the marinara is smooth. Taste it and adjust the seasoning to your liking. Pour the sauce over the noodles, garnish with some almesan, and dig in. If you have leftovers, make sure to store the sauce and noodles separately. They should keep for about 3-4 days.

2 comments:

  1. Sara, I had read this post a while ago, and finally tried some zucchini pasta. The CSA gave me more zucchini than I knew what to do with. Tossed some with olive oil, lemon thyme, garlic, thinly sliced onions and topped it off with some goats cheese. It was awesome! Thanks for the nice idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think most people with gardens or CSA shares tend to end up with more zucchini than they know what to do with. Glad you enjoyed it! I'll have to try to be more inventive since I usually just eat zucchini pasta with marinara or pesto.

    ReplyDelete