Fire Roasted Tomato Couscous with Chickpeas
Makes 4 servings
- 1 28 oz / 795 g can fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained and liquid reserved
- 1 15 oz / 425 g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts, cut into strips lengthwise then sliced widthwise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: Nutritional yeast for garnish
2. Pour 1 1/2 cup of the tomato liquid (if you forgot to reserve the liquid from the tomatoes you could use broth or water) into a small pot with a lid. Bring it to a boil then add the couscous, 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Give it all a quick stir, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit covered for 4-5 minutes or as long as the couscous package indicates.
3. Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/3 teaspoon of black pepper and red pepper flakes to the leek mixture and cook for 5-7 minutes or until everything is warmed through. Fluff up the couscous with a fork and add it to skillet along with the parsley, tossing to evenly distribute all the ingredients. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature, with a sprinkle of nutritional yeast if you'd like.