Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Simple Guacamole

Last night Austin and I were cooking up some tacos when he said, "why don't you make some guacamole?". He also suggested I share the recipe with you all. At first I felt that it was almost insulting to write a whole post for something as simple as guacamole. Then I thought to myself, hey, extremely easy recipes deserve some bloggin' lovin' too! This guacamole is orders of magnitude better than plain avocado. Not only is it more delicious than some avocado slices but it also spreads more easily and uniformly in your taco, wrap or sandwich.

The recipe for the tacos we garnished with this guacamole is extremely similar to the Chipotle Pinto Bean Tostadas I wrote about last week; there are just a few differences. First, I sauteed half of a red onion, chopped, before adding the beans, which were black instead of pinto. Also, instead of crisping up the tortillas in the oven to make tostadas we warmed them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds so that they remained nice and soft.

The plus side of this meal? We thought it was so delicious that we ate it all up. The down side? We had no leftovers for lunch the next day. Do you have recipes for quick meals that you just can't get enough of?

 

Simple Guacamole
Makes about 1 1/2 cup
  • 1 1/2 medium ripe avocados, cut into chunks
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 2-4 teaspoons lime or lemon juice
  • Optional: 1 small diced tomato, minced jalapeño, cilantro to taste (I only add the tomato)
Paste the garlic with the salt by sprinkling the salt over the garlic and dragging it across your cutting board with your knife until the garlic has broken down. Add it to a bowl along with the rest of the ingredients. Using a potato masher or a fork, mash the avocado until you reach your desired consistency. I like my guacamole a bit chunky but I know people who prefer it smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings. It really doesn't get much easier than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment